Alexander's Care of the Patient in Surgery, 16th Edition
Jane C. Rothrock, PhD, RN, CNOR, FAAN
1225 including index
Expiration Date: 12/31/2022
The 16th edition of Alexander’s highlights current surgical techniques and innovations.
New to this Edition
• Robotic-Assisted Surgery boxes highlight a rapidly expanding surgical modality.
• Enhanced Recovery After Surgery boxes promote review of protocols for early recovery for patients undergoing major surgery.
• Patient Engagement Exemplar boxes address AORN guidelines on the issues of patient care and involvement of the patient’s family.
• New standards and AORN toolkits cover topics ranging from enhanced post-surgical recovery to prevention of pressure ulcers.
• Over 400 general and specialty surgical interventions are covered, as well as many minimally invasive surgical procedures, whether performed in a hospital, outpatient clinic, or in a doctor’s office.
• 900 full-color photos and illustrations show surgical anatomy, procedures, and methods.
• Comprehensive coverage includes patient and environmental safety, infection prevention and control, positioning, anesthesia and pain management, and the unique needs of special populations such as pediatric and geriatric patients.
• Sample plans of care include nursing diagnoses, outcomes, and interventions.
• Surgical Pharmacology tables summarize the drugs most commonly used for each surgical procedure.
• Patient and Family Education boxes include specific guidelines for preprocedural and postprocedural care, side effects and complications, home care, discharge instructions, and psychosocial care.
• Patient Safety boxes highlight Joint Commission initiatives for patient and staff safety in the surgical setting.
• Best Practice and Research Highlight boxes apply the latest scientific research to patient care.
This activity consists of four quizzes, each worth 20.5 contact hours, or a total of 82 contact hours when you’ve finished all four.
Section A (Chapters 1-9):
Patient Safety and Risk Management • Workplace Issues and Staff Safety • Infection Prevention and Control • Anesthesia • Patient Positioning • Sutures, Sharps, and Instruments • Surgical Modalities • Wound Healing, Dressings and Drains.
Section B (Chs. 10-15):
Postoperative Patient Care and Pain Management • Gastrointestinal Surgery • Surgery of the Biliary Tract, Pancreas, Liver and Spleen • Hernia Repair • Gynecologic and Obstetric Surgery • Genitourinary Surgery.
Section C (Chs. 16-22):
Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgery • Breast Surgery • Ophthalmic Surgery • Otorhinolaryngologic Surgery • Orthopedic Surgery • Neurosurgery • Reconstructive and Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
Section D (Chs. 23-30):
Thoracic Surgery • Vascular Surgery • Cardiac Surgery • Pediatric Surgery • Geriatric Surgery • Trauma Surgery • Interventional and Image-Guided Procedures • Integrative Health Practices: Complementary and Alternative Therapies.