Delivering Culturally Competent Nursing Care
Gloria Kersey-Matusiak, PhD, MSN, RN
Springer Publishing Company
258 plus glossary and index
Expiration Date: 12/31/2019
This program is pre-approved by the Commission for Case Manager Certification (CCMC) to provide continuing education credit to Certified Case Managers (CCMs).
CCRNs: This course is eligible for new synergy model Category B.
What makes this text especially interesting is that it addresses groups not seen in most texts on cultural diversity: patients with physical, psychological, or intellectual disabilities; patients who are migrant farm workers, patients who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender; patients who are new immigrants or refugees, patients who are poor and uninsured, and others.
This text has been written to help nursing students and practitioners in applying cultural competency skills to these various patient care situations.
The text defines cultural competency and describes how nurses can use the Staircase Model to determine their level of cultural competency. It provides effective strategies for the cultural assessment of patients and focuses on working with culturally diverse colleagues and patient populations. Using case vignettes, it presents difficult clinical scenarios related to cultural diversity and discusses how to resolve them.
Some Pilot Nurse Comments
- I learned quite a few things about different cultures that I didn't realize before - it really put into perspective the importance of being knowledgeable on different cultures. I am all about excellent customer service for patients and this gave me a few ways to improve how I do that.
- This was my favorite pilot thus far. The info was very useful and presented in a unique manner. This ... course will actually help a health care professional improve their patient care.
- Thought provoking. Let me know that I need further study. Piqued my interest into this needed subject.
- Some chapters were more interesting (than others). A lot of good useful information that can be related to nursing practice today.
- I enjoyed the course. The part that stood out was having the case scenarios at the end of each chapter - I think that did a good job with being able to apply each chapter to nurse situations.
Table of Contents
Part I: Buiilding Cultural Competency Skills
1. Defining Cultural Competency
2. Patient-Focused Cultural Assessment Models
3. Why Can't They Speak Our Language? Working with Culturally Diverse Colleagues
Part II: Stepping Up to Cultural Comptency
4. Cultural Considerations When the Patient's Religious or Spiritual Needs Differ From One's Own
5. Cultural Considerations When Caring for Patients with Physical, Psychological, or Intellectual Disabilities
6. Cultural Considerations When the Patient Speaks a Different Language
7. Cultural Considerations When Caring for the Patient Who is Terminally Ill
8. Cultural Considerations When Caring for the Geographically Displaced Client (i.e., migrant workers)
9. Cultural Considerations When Working With Patients With a Sexual Orientation That Differs From One's Own
10. Cultural Considerations When Caring for the New Immigrant or Refugee
11. Cultural Considerations When Caring for the Poor and Uninsured